Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In

6 Pages «<456
FID Wiki Options
Nuke
#101 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:39:12 PM

NightDevil wrote:
Hi guys... there's any news about this topic?

I guess the adminteam forgot to discuss this.
FIDAdmin1
#102 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 10:22:02 AM

Head Staff Medal: Medal rewarded for being part of the Head Staff at Footballidentity

Hey guys!

Really sorry for not coming back to you in a timely manner with regards to this. Our schedules truly are filled with other things to do each and every day and we need to make the best out of the resources and time we have at our disposal.

Now, something just emerged here that we would just simply like to bring to the discussion. We basically stumbled upon a wiki-service (wikia.com) that seems to be hosting wiki's for a lot of games out there and we thought that perhaps this would be a more suitable way of having our FID Wiki?

It is merely a suggestion to you guys, if there are strong reasons why you don't like this service or this way of setting up the wiki for FID then we'll just leave it. But we took the liberty of setting up an account and a wiki for Footballidentity on this site. You can see it here: http://footballidentity....i/Footballidentity_Wiki

Now, we really don't have that much time on our hands to dig into this further but hopefully there's a few of you out there who want to take a look at it and give your input on it. If you like it and want to start using it then of course I guess there may have to be some "importing" of data from the old wiki (not sure how much data there is there yet) and I don't know if there is any support for importing of data in that site. If not then perhaps it is better to start from scratch (you guys know this better than us) with the old FIDWiki as base.

Please give your input on whether you think wikia.com is a good way to move FIDWiki forward or not in this topic. And if you are interested in contributing as an admin maintaining the data and the structure of the wiki then please let us know through e-mail (support@communisport.com) and we will give you admin rights (if decision is taken to move forward with this solution). Please write just a few lines about what experience you've got regarding wiki work in the email that you send us.
Help and FAQ

Stay updated by following us on:

...and follow my blog.

See how matches are played in this Youtube Tutorial.
toybota
#103 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 12:33:05 PM

Moderator: Medal received for taking part in Footballidentity's Moderator team

When the old site was no longer editable, I started to move all the data about one of my teams to that site. Unfortunately I never got the time to finish it but wikia does seem fairly easy to use.
Razor Sharp - ACM @ The Panthers - England Senior International (7 Caps, 7 Goals)
Rock Solid - CD @ The Panthers - England Senior International (1 Cap, 0 Goals, 100% Win Record as Captain) Finland 1A S19, S20
Red Snow - SM @ The Goat Stimulators - England Senior International (20 Caps, 1 Goal, 9 U25 Caps, 2 U25 Goals) Finland 2A S15, France 1A S21, S22, S23, UFCL S22, Netherlands 1A S26
Rotten Seed - Manager @ Silent Assassins FC - Ex-England U25 Assistant Manager & Ex-England Senior Assistant Manager England 1A S25, S27
Randy Sock - CF @ Silent Assassins FC - England Senior International (12 Caps, 19 Goals, 5 U25 Caps, 6 U25 Goals) Wales 1A S19, Netherlands 1A S20, England 1A S25, S27, Sen WC S29, World Gold Boot S26, World Fwd S27
Robot Stopper - SD @ Team Ten - England U25 International (6 U25 Caps, 0 U25 Goals, 10 U21 Caps, 1 U21 Goal) Wales 1A S19 , Netherlands 1A S20, Sweden 1A S26, S27, SA Liga S29
Rattle Snake - Assistant Manager @ The Panthers - Ex-England Senior & U21 Assistant Manager, Ex-England U25 Manager U25 WC S24
Rusty Schmeichel - GK @ The Panthers - England U25 International (6 U25 Caps, 2 U21 Caps) Finland 1A S20
Remote Star - CM @ The Goat Stimulators - England U25 International (2 U25 Caps, 0 U25 Goals, 13 U21 Caps, 1 U21 Goal) Netherlands 1A S26
Rapid Speed - SD @ The Goat Stimulators - England U21 International (6 U21 Caps, 0 U21 Goals) U21 WC S30
Rogue Stimulant - Assistant Manager @ The Goat Stimulators - Ex-England U21 Assistant Manager U21 WC S30
Rastabilly Skank - GK @ The Goat Stimulators
Robo Sapien - GK @ The Goat Stimulators
Rimmerisa Smeghead - CM @ The Cocks
Reverse Starbug - SD @ The Cocks
Raging Simulant - GK @ The Cocks
Rolo Shake - Assistant Manager @ Edinburgh Athletic - England U21 Assistant Manager U21 WC S30
Roaming Skutter - CM @ Spain Brain FC ESP 1 S31
Rejuvenation Shower - CD @ Spain Brain FC ESP 1 S31
Radioactive Stasis - SM @ Spain Brain FC ESP 1 S31
C-King Impact
#104 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 11:35:13 PM

Contributor Medal: User recieved this medal for the huge amount of work put into enhancing the FID experience.Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

FIDAdmin1 wrote:
Hey guys!

Really sorry for not coming back to you in a timely manner with regards to this. Our schedules truly are filled with other things to do each and every day and we need to make the best out of the resources and time we have at our disposal.

Now, something just emerged here that we would just simply like to bring to the discussion. We basically stumbled upon a wiki-service (wikia.com) that seems to be hosting wiki's for a lot of games out there and we thought that perhaps this would be a more suitable way of having our FID Wiki?

It is merely a suggestion to you guys, if there are strong reasons why you don't like this service or this way of setting up the wiki for FID then we'll just leave it. But we took the liberty of setting up an account and a wiki for Footballidentity on this site. You can see it here: http://footballidentity....i/Footballidentity_Wiki

Now, we really don't have that much time on our hands to dig into this further but hopefully there's a few of you out there who want to take a look at it and give your input on it. If you like it and want to start using it then of course I guess there may have to be some "importing" of data from the old wiki (not sure how much data there is there yet) and I don't know if there is any support for importing of data in that site. If not then perhaps it is better to start from scratch (you guys know this better than us) with the old FIDWiki as base.

Please give your input on whether you think wikia.com is a good way to move FIDWiki forward or not in this topic. And if you are interested in contributing as an admin maintaining the data and the structure of the wiki then please let us know through e-mail (support@communisport.com) and we will give you admin rights (if decision is taken to move forward with this solution). Please write just a few lines about what experience you've got regarding wiki work in the email that you send us.

Wow... timing couldn't have been harsher.

My Hosting account expired, literally days ago - so the website is no longer accessible from the Front-end.

I had a crash of my external hard-drive a couple of weeks ago, lost the backups of FiDwiki (and every other project I ever worked on... got it on CD/DVD somewhere too... in some box... buried far away).

I can still access the databases and file-structures online since the Domain Name is still paid for, but all I can offer at this point are raw transfers.

If you've started something new on a free-hosting site, I wouldn't recommend trying to merge any of that anyways - I had the wiki highly customized, for one... and the wiki-engine version had not been updated for almost 2-years - it would probably be a mini-nightmare to merge, as we can't use the tools to selectively merge/copy, unless everything I have was uploaded to a new site and activated, and that would be a big job on it's own. If you had wanted to start with my databases and file structures, then upgrade from there, it would have been more feasible... but trying to merge old and new would likely pose some problems.

Anyways, there was plenty of warning and encouragement to copy/paste/store their work somewhere (including a mass-mail to all FiDwiki members) well before everything was shut down, and now that since a year had passed between when that message was sent and when the site finally shut down a few day/a couple of weeks ago... if that wasn't heeded, my best recommendation is to start from scratch.

If someone must absolutely have access to this stuff, I can arrange to create an account to access the service where the database and file-structures are stored, but unless you're well-versed in backend website management, and working with MySQL databases - it's pointless.

EDIT: I checked The Wayback Machine... there were several snapshots available from the last 2-years, however it seems nothing much deeper than two-or-three clicks into the Wiki were captured. You could use the first few depths of available pages as a guide to the setup of the new wiki and build from there, if you have nothing else.

browning
#105 Posted : Tuesday, May 06, 2014 8:20:34 AM

C-King Impact wrote:
I had a crash of my external hard-drive a couple of weeks ago, lost the backups of FiDwiki...

...Is this something external hard-drives are proner to?

Good job on the wiki (at least the work sounds worthy of a compliment), C-King Impact. A bit of a shame apparently few to none really care.
9 out of 10 times YOU JUST ABSOLUTELY SUCK!

http://footballidentity....neral/U86.aspx?id=73791

browning wrote:
Pedo Bear is the pet that gets unleashed when blasphemy occurs. So don't blaspheme, because those black spots are the real Axis of Evil.

...First he looks into your butt twice, then the nose goes in. And you don't see depth on a 2-D image.

"You cannot trust men who like to dance. That's been my theory my entire life." - Brian Billick, one of the wise men of our paradoxical Age

Trololol

And for the Special.
C-King Impact
#106 Posted : Tuesday, May 06, 2014 6:05:24 PM

Contributor Medal: User recieved this medal for the huge amount of work put into enhancing the FID experience.Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

browning wrote:
C-King Impact wrote:
I had a crash of my external hard-drive a couple of weeks ago, lost the backups of FiDwiki...

...Is this something external hard-drives are proner to?

Good job on the wiki (at least the work sounds worthy of a compliment), C-King Impact. A bit of a shame apparently few to none really care.

When you treat your electronics like I do (cigarette smoke is a "killer" in particular - and this external drive had it's backside facing the direction where the smoke usually goes), anything is possible! ;)

... as for the wiki, thanks for the compliment.

I hope the new version takes off.

FIDAdmin1
#107 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 9:28:48 AM

Head Staff Medal: Medal rewarded for being part of the Head Staff at Footballidentity

Thanks for the input C-King Impact. I think then we can decide to move forward with the new Wiki (at wikia.com). It will have to be built from scratch but hopefully some users have tucked away details that they already entered into the old wiki and can easily input them again into the new wiki.

We will soon announce the opening of the new wiki through a newsletter (but you can already now start working in it) and hopefully the community will come together and try to make our wiki the best on wikia.

If there's anyone out there who would be interested in administrating the wiki (building structure, patrolling updates and trying to work out suitable templates) then please let us know at support@communisport.com

http://footballidentity....ki/Footballidentity_Wiki
Help and FAQ

Stay updated by following us on:

...and follow my blog.

See how matches are played in this Youtube Tutorial.
andymann
#108 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 6:13:01 PM

I'm not available to work on this wiki, but if it's any use to those that are I've just unbinned an old document that I made ages ago to track the teams in the English pyramid:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj4q2B9q-wl3dER1WGhTZi05R01MdU5ENE5FbnVYX3c&usp=drive_web&authkey=CNuNo98O&authkey=CNuNo98O#gid=0
(The only new change I've made is making the lines of teams that have won the top league since I stopped updating it bold.)

It's a shame that the history of the game is mostly lost due to team name changes and player takeovers. What history there is is mostly meaningless too.
Obviously changes made to make the game better 'in the now' have priority, but it's a shame the history has been sacrificed.

I doubt there'll ever be the time or inclination to make it happen, but a system where a team name change splits to two IDs with the new one carrying all the stuff needed for the team to carry on, and the old one just having a historical record of what had happened in the life of the with the old team name, and a link to the new team ID just to show where it is now, would be good
With a player, the old half of a split would link to the user that had the player previously and the stats it had while they owned it.
League tables should have a static version recorded at the end of a season so a future team name change doesn't instantly change all the old details.

I guess the only way this is going to happen is if the game gets a full reset and comes out of beta, but I guess FID uses the google definition of beta... Whistle
andymann
#109 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2014 8:39:30 PM

It may actually be worth a new topic and/or news article/mailshot to let everyone know about this. This is a pretty old topic after all.
statik
#110 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:54:20 PM

Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

It would help if you could restore player stats for s1-3...