Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In

12 Pages 123>»
Attribute Dictionary Options
FIDAdmin1
#1 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 5:55:51 PM

Head Staff Medal: Medal rewarded for being part of the Head Staff at Footballidentity

Physical Skills
Acceleration
Acceleration is the attribute that decides how quickly a footballer can reach their maximum movement speed. A high level of acceleration is also beneficial in situations where a footballer goes head to head with an opponent and needs quick feet in those important first steps.

Agility
Agility is how how well a footballer can move their body and it's different parts (legs, arms etc.) fluently and quickly. This is a basic attribute used in many situations and an agile footballers also tend to be better in making quick turns and changes of directions than less agile footballers.

Balance
Balance is mainly the attribute that decides how well a footballer can keep their balance while interacting with a ball which reaches them at a height that is above their waist but, of course, it also affects their ability to keep balance overall. A footballer with good balance can keep their balance even when things get rough while a footballer with bad balance may falter and lose out in contests with other footballers due to them loosing his balance.

Jumping
Jumping is the attribute that decides how well a footballer is at getting up into the air and how well the footballer can time the jump in order to receive the ball or perform headers in the best possible way. A good jumper therefore naturally has advantages when fighting for or interacting with a ball in the air.

Speed
Speed is the most important attribute when deciding the possible maximum speed of a footballer and thereby the most important attribute when deciding how much a footballer can move each turn.

Stamina
A footballer with high stamina can perform to a high level all the game while a footballer with less stamina will probably get tired and start to underperform towards the end of the matches. Good stamina is a key skill for players who run a lot and perform many actions during a match.

Strength
Strength is the amount of physical strength that a footballer possesses. A high level of Strength gives the footballer an advantage when facing weaker opponents in physical encounters and is of course one of the key skill for footballers who expect to beat the opponents when fighting for the ball.

Techniqual Skills
Ball Control
Ball Control is how well a footballer can control the ball with their feet and can be described as having a deft and natural touch of the ball. It is a basic attribute that comes into play in many situations.

Blocking
The Blocking attribute decides how good a footballer is at “making themselves as big as possible”, but also how good the footballer is at simply getting in the way for the ball in any way and thereby hindering a ball from reaching it's target. Normal targets for blocks are passes and shots, but also bad rebounds and any other loose ball can blocked if needed and if the blocking skills are good enough. This a key skill when it is of great importance to stop the ball from reaching its intended target and other interactions with the ball are impossible.

Curving
Curving is an attribute that is related to how well a footballer can hit the ball (passing or shooting) “around” their opponents with their feet. A good “curver” has a greater chance of making a pass or shot that is difficult to intercept or stop by their opponents. This attribute is especially important when performing crosses and a footballer with good curving skills is the kind of player who can make those beautiful passes and shots that seems to be controlled by remote control.

Dribbling
Dribbling is the main attribute that decides how well the footballer can dribble. A good dribbler can create space for themselves by beating their opponents with feints and tricks, and by moving their body and the ball, thereby making it difficult for their opponent to take the ball from them. A dribble can be performed when a footballer have the ball under their control and then moves or simply holds onto the ball while their opponents tries to steal the ball from them by performing a tackle.

High Passing
The High Passing attribute is the main influence in how accurately a footballer can pass the ball when performing a high pass. A footballer with good high passing skills will be able to show that ability by making accurate long passes and precise crosses while less skilled footballers would probably hit the passes off the pitch.

Low Passing
The Low Passing attribute is the main influence for how accurately a footballer can pass the ball when performing a low pass. A footballer with good low passing skills will be able to hit those hard, fast and accurate low passes that are so important when you find a narrow gap between opponents and need to get the passes precise in order to avoid them being able to interact with the pass. A less skilled footballer may well fail with the accuracy in these cases and give the ball away for the opponents to make an easy interception.

One Touch
One Touch is the skill that determines the footballers ability to predict and identify the intended target (by a pass, header or shot) while at the same time calculating/anticipating how to interact with the incoming ball in order to reach that target. One touch is therefore the attribute that increases chances of performing a good direct pass (by foot or head). A footballer that is highly skilled in the art of one touch play can perform direct passes just as good as they would have been able to do if he had received the ball first. This is a passing skill that is typical for a play-maker type of footballer where being able to direct passes is a big advantage. The one touch attribute is also used when the footballer tries to perform direct actions on goal such as direct shots or headers and can also therefore be a very useful skill for forwards.

Tackling
Tackling is the attribute which is a main decider in how well a footballer can take the ball from an opponent during a move. A good tackler also has a lower risk of causing a foul when trying to tackle. A good tackler is skilled not only in reading what the opponent with the ball intends to do when trying to dribble the tackling footballer but alsoin the technique of how to actually take the ball from the opponent. It may be a brute-force sliding tackle, a well-timed steal when the opponent let the ball too far away, or it can be a well-timed shoulder tackle.

Mental Skills
Anticipation
Anticipation is how well a footballer can predict the ball trajectory/path and thereby helps the footballer to choose better positions on the pitch compared to the opponents with less anticipation. It is therefore a basic skill useful in many situations related to receiving and performing direct actions.

Defensive Positioning
Defensive Positioning skill is how well a footballer can position themselves in relation to their opponents when being in a defensive situation. It increases their chances of winning physical encounters due to having positioned their body “more cleverly” than an opponent who is not a good positional player. Defensive Positioning is one of the key skills in physical encounters in and around the footballers own penalty area where it is of great importance to keep the ball away from the opponents.

Fearlessness
Fearlessness is the attribute that decides how much fear a footballer experiences during physical encounters but also the fear a footballer experiences in some situations where there is big risk of getting knocks and bruises. If a footballer feels a high degree of fear, it will hinder them from performing well in these situations.

Scoring Positioning
The Scoring Positioning skill is how well a footballer can position themselves in relation to their opponents when being in an offensive situation. It increases their chances of winning physical encounters due to having positioned their body “more cleverly” than an opponent who is not a good position player. Scoring Positioning is one of the key skills in physical encounters in and around the opponents penalty area where there is a good chance of scoring if the ball can be won.

Vision
Vision is a general skill that improves a footballers passing ability and accuracy. A high level of vision gives the footballer a bigger possibility to perform passes that are difficult for the opposition to intercept but easy for the teammates just because the footballer can see where their teammates wants the ball and where the opponents do not want the ball to be hit.

Finishing Skills
Heading
Heading is an attribute that is related to how well a footballer can hit the ball (passing or shooting) with their head. A good header of the ball can control the headers well and can make accurate, powerful and well timed headers. The attribute will therefore have an impact on the accuracy as well as the ability to perform a pass or shot (with head) that is difficult to intercept or stop for their opponents. The heading attribute is always used when performing a direct pass or direct shot when the ball is above a footballer's waist (yellow on the ballpath).

Shooting Accuracy
Shooting Accuracy is the footballers ability to hit where they are aiming when taking a shot and how well a footballer strikes the ball when performing a shot. A footballer with good Shooting accuracy is not only more reliable in their accuracy but also gets less mipoopiess.

Shooting Strength
Shooting Strength is how hard a footballer can shoot overall. It can be described as how good the shooting technique of the footballer is and it is not only affecting the maximum power of the shots but also how hard a footballer can shoot without losing the precision. A footballer with a strong shot will be able to perform shots that are more difficult for the opposing keeper or player to stop solely because of the power of the shot.

Keeper Skills
Aerilal Ability
Aerial Ability decides a goalkeepers ability to handle situations where they have to fight for and intercept a ball in situations where the ball is in the air.

Handling
Handling is the skill that decides how well a keeper handles the ball with their hands and how well the keeper can hold onto the ball when saving.

Keeper Positioning
The Keeper Positioning skill is how well a goalkeeper can position their body in order to have the most advantageous position for performing any of their keeper actions.

Passing With Hands
Passing with hands is the attribute that decides how well a goalkeeper can pass a ball using their hands but it also affects how good the goalkeeper is in directing tough shots away from the goal instead of into the goal.

Reflexes
Reflexes is the skill that decides how quickly a goalkeeper can react when trying to save a shot.

Additional Information for Keepers
It is important to understand that many of the ”non-keeper attributes” are also used by goalkeepers in their specific actions. So becoming a good goalkeeper is not only to train your keeper attributes. The keeper attributes (just like the "outfield attributes") will in almost every action be combined with one or more of the other attributes which are not keeper specific attributes.

To make it easier for goalkeepers to avoid training skills that are not used for keeper specific actions, we have listed all the "outfield attributes" that are used in at least on keeper specific actions. The keeper specific actions we refer to are: Pass with hands low, pass with hands high, punch, save, tackle with hands, fight for the ball high, fight for the ball low, receive ball low and receive ball high. The attribute list below are not telling anything about how much they are used or when they are used. I only says it is used at least in one of these keeper specific actions. Here comes the attribute list, in alphabetic order, of the "outfield skills" that are used in at least one keeper specific action:

Acceleration
Useful every time the keeper moves but also useful when trying to win the ball against opponents when the ball is at the ground.

Agility
An agile keeper is of course a much better keeper than a keeper with poor agility and is used in many situations.

Anticipation
To be able to predict the ball trajectory/path is of great importance for receiving the ball but also when deciding where and how to get the ball before the opponents.

Balance
Being able to keep the balance in rough situations and when handling high balls are important for a keeper.

Fearlessness
Important when fighting against opponents in all kind of situations.

Jumping
Jumping is a skill of great importance when trying to reach a high ball before an opponent can reach it.

One touch
Useful when trying to interact with the ball without the intention keeping it.

Strength
Strength is useful in physical encounters and is therefore useful for goalkeepers.

Vision
Vision is useful for a keeper when they want to pass the ball to a teammate.

New information creates new questions and suggestions, we know that. Please post any possible feedback you may have in the Suggested Improvements forum but just don't expect any quick feedback from us on these topics at this specific time. We may change the way that attributes are taken into account and what impact they will have in the future but it is not something that we can shift our focus to at this point in time. But for the future we are happy to register any feedback you have and take it into account (just don't expect a very quick answer on this at the moment).
Help and FAQ

Stay updated by following us on:

...and follow my blog.

See how matches are played in this Youtube Tutorial.
Sponsor  

Akitsu
#2 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 6:25:32 PM

Great job with this! This should help and make the game even more interesting even for new guys! Applause

Too many awards and titles for this signature.

levski
#3 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 6:37:11 PM

Good job, this is extremely useful (and should be in the Help section in the game).

I'm afraid the balance attribute is a misnomer and doesn't make sense. Just by the name I figured balance was the ability of a player to maintain his balance while dribbling. It also doesn't make sense to me to have a 'balance' related attribute for interacting with the ball over waist level. Maybe others see this differently but for me it's a head-scratcher.
Riot
#4 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 6:45:40 PM

Thank you, this is an extremely helpful post.
juantheone
#5 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 7:27:32 PM

levski wrote:
Good job, this is extremely useful (and should be in the Help section in the game).

I'm afraid the balance attribute is a misnomer and doesn't make sense. Just by the name I figured balance was the ability of a player to maintain his balance while dribbling. It also doesn't make sense to me to have a 'balance' related attribute for interacting with the ball over waist level. Maybe others see this differently but for me it's a head-scratcher.

What it means is if you go up in the air to chest a ball or head it and you get hit you will be able to land correctly, but i see your point in the dribbling because i play defense in real life and when i go for a ball against a good forward it is a true challenge because they are firm and do not lose their balance allowing them to control the ball better, strength and balance would be the opposites as a strong person should be able to knock someone off balance if their balance is low
The ghost of Chini
Remaining smells of poupou
Dead Ricky bobby

levski
#6 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 8:03:59 PM

Why does it matter how you land?
Riot
#7 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 8:09:57 PM

levski wrote:
Why does it matter how you land?

You could land awkwardly and stub your toe.

But for realsies, I think of balance in a more holistic way - it's directly related to overall body control, and subtly influences everything you do. If someone tackles you you'll have a better chance of staying on your feet and recovering quickly, and if you're jumping for a header you'll land more cleanly, taking a split second less time to start running again.

Thinking
levski
#8 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 8:23:08 PM

That's I think the common interpretation of balance, I agree. (And if you're jumping for a ball balance would be a factor as well, so it's not that it doesn't make sense, but setting the attribute aside for interacting with the ball over waist level, especially with the emphasis on it being significant even when you're going up for a ball by yourself, let alone without even jumping much, is what's a bit unrealistic I think)
Riot
#9 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 8:32:24 PM

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Seems like it should be more of a general modifier.
Pesh
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:45:41 AM

I have been mistaking Ball control and Balance.. I thought Balance was for not loosing the ball while dribble and Ball control to receive better.

Pride of sweden

Swedish SWE 1A Champions S04 2010

Roma
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:11:10 AM

Hello!! Im doing the translate to Portuguese!!
I will post this soon!

Can you explain a bit more about the "One touch"?
And about this "just like the "outfield attributes"? What do you mean with that?

Well, with these answers, i can finish the translate to Portuguese!!!

Cheers!
levski
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:13:51 AM

I've been looking at these definitions and the attribute names and I think there is some way to go for full sense to be achieved, and the implications go beyond just semantics, which is troublesome. Here are my observations.

Physical Attributes

Agility should be 'the extent to which and the ease with which a footballer can move his body or its different parts(legs, arms etc.). This is a basic attribute used in many situations.' as opposed to including 'how quickly' (agility has a limited, far from a full, relation to quickness, and this is where the subject of the next paragraph enters).

An attribute should be added named 'Hustle' or 'Work Rate'. This will be the attribute exclusively referring to 'how quickly a player acts'. It should be a Mental attribute. This is the one glaring attribute in my opinion that was missed by the developers. I can elaborate further but it's better to move on in this post.

The issue with balance has already been noted.

The definition for speed is poor. Speed is more so potential for movement modified significantly by acceleration, and I would presume agility (hustle/work rate should act as a multiplier too), and the definition by labeling it 'most important in how much a footballer can move in a turn' fails to convey what I think is its true meaning/significance.

Technical Attributes

Unfortunately heading isn't an exclusively finishing attribute. In the definition itself it is stated that heading is used as passing and it is also used by defenders for clearing. Thus it seems appropriate to move the attribute to the technical category as it refers to accuracy and the ability for it to not be blocked, which although has a relation to physicality, is more a reference to technique.

In the definition for blocking the event of actually blocking should also be included, although this is more of an anal correction.

Mental Attributes

Anticipation should be 'how well a footballer can predict what a player will do with the ball. It is a basic skill useful in all situations where the footballer is involved after any action is taken.' Predicting 'where a ball is going to land' either is not a direct way of saying that or refers to an attribute not related to anticipation; physical vision.

Defensive and scoring positioning is really problematic. How about positioning when scoring isn't in question? And what do "defensive" and "offensive" "situations" mean?

I'm a fan of fearlessness smiling.

Vision. Why would it give a bigger probability for the pass to be more difficult to intercept in addition to the pass being more accurate? What does an improved 'passing ability' mean in addition to better accuracy and why is it related to vision?

Shooting Strength. The '(without losing any accuracy)' only stumped me when I first read it; I don't think it's needed. Also, I can see how a harder shot will be more difficult to stop for a keeper (primarily because the keeper won't be able to react on time or get to the spot), but why would it be more difficult for a defender to stop? I think it's too much of a blank statement, it makes you think more than you need to. People don't need elaboration on what a hard shot brings to the table.

Keeper Attributes

'Aerial Ability decides a goalkeeper's ability to handle situations where he has to fight for and intercept a ball at a position where the ball is in the air.' What does aerial ability bring that jumping and handling don't already bring? The definition needs to make that clear.

'Reflexes is the attribute that decides how quickly a goalkeeper can react when trying to save a shot.' Save instead of shot. This one is purely anal.
statik
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:18:16 AM

Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

Seems like much critics is about marking words. Does it change gameplay if it's called different?

I understand that it's not what we anticipated in some cases. But are you so in love with getting superman players that a couple of misstrainings kills you?

I for sure has been training atleast half of my trainings wrong. Flapper But now it's nice to have dictionary so you know what it's all about. Adopt people, adopt. Like I said about the changes in the MR.
statik
#14 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:19:57 AM

Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

Pesh wrote:
I have been mistaking Ball control and Balance.. I thought Balance was for not loosing the ball while dribble and Ball control to receive better.

Balance I get, but my understanding is that Ball Control is in effect when reciving ball, but not alone though.
mrMallorca
#15 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:53:02 PM

Roma wrote:
Hello!! Im doing the translate to Portuguese!!
I will post this soon!

Great idea ... and I will translate it to Esssspanish:

Diccionario de Cualidades

levski
#16 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:31:50 PM

Balance is the big one in terms of an actual change. The two positioning skills however I think likely hint at a bit of a bigger problem than just their names (even if scoring positioning is called something else what about balls somewhere in the midfield where the opposing team's player has the position advantage, which attribute is used, offensive or defensive? 50-50 balls? are the two universally used or are they just for crosses or situations around goal? if for just those shouldn't there be a general positioning attribute?). Vision seems to have an exaggerated importance. I actually understand now why it would be somewhat more difficult to block a harder shot. Then Hustle/Work Rate is a suggestion for a new attribute. And we know that aerial ability matters but we don't know how it's different from the combination of jumping and handling, which may obscure how important it is from the perspective of users.
popokatepetl
#17 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:40:27 PM

levski wrote:
Then Hustle/Work Rate is a suggestion for a new attribute.

Work rate is very important, especially for DMs
Hawkmoon
#18 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:45:09 PM

Is that not something that we could see as a combination of stamina and the user way of playing?
levski
#19 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:11:28 PM

Can't all 3 positioning attributes be seen as the way a user positions his player? Can't anticipation be seen as how a user moves his player in preparation for the next turn?

Hustle/work rate occurred to me when I was reading the agility definition, the 'how quickly' part, which doesn't pertain to agility.

In regards to focus/concentration I don't quite see how players can be unfocused or not concentrating. However, composure I think is an interesting one.
Roma
#20 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:27:30 PM

A non-official translate to Portuguese (Brazil) made by me!

http://forum.footballide...aspx?g=posts&t=2633

I think the brazilians and portugueses will really enjoy that!

Peace!