Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In

18 Pages 123>»
The End - Footballidentity is closing 8 months from now Options
FIDAdmin3
#1 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:19:50 PM

Head Staff Medal: Medal rewarded for being part of the Head Staff at Footballidentity

We can’t begin to tell you how much it hurts us to have to bring you this news, but the time has come for Footballidentity to close its doors. As many of our users already know we are just two regular guys following a childhood dream of making this special kind of football game. A unique experience that people have enjoyed since the BETA release in 2009 and that many people have kept playing for years. The project has been funded by the small family company; even though it all started out very promising and we had individual users spend more than 1000 EUR on Footballidentity over the years, the game has never made any profit. On the contrary the revenue made from ingame purchases has been reinvested into further development of the game and as we are now reaching the end it is fully obvious that the project has been a financial setback. The project has however had a huge impact on our lives, in both positive and negative ways, and we will remember this rollercoaster for the rest of our lives. What we will remember the most are the many awesome friendships and acquaintances we’ve made, the unforgettable moments we’ve experienced (both as developers and as players) and the invaluable lessons we’ve learned along the way. The community of Footballidentity has been a truly special one with an energy and devotion that we believe is rarely seen in other games.

The story of Footballidentity

It all started in 2007 when we, Fredrik Olsson and Anders Bengtsson, decided to leave our well-paid jobs in the IT-consultancy business and start the company CommuniSport to develop the game you now know as Footballidentity. The core concept of the game, even though it has changed and been added to over the years, is based on an idea forged in Fredrik’s teens as he was indulging in the early days of football manager games. Even though he loved manager games he always felt that there was something missing in the experience. He never really connected fully with the role of the football manager but instead felt that the role of the actual football player was the one that intrigued him the most. The dream of playing a game, very similar to a manager game, that allowed him to enter as a football player into a world fully populated by other people started taking shape. His dream became reality after he turned thirty, when Footballidentity launched its BETA in 2009. Together with Anders and with the help of his father’s small one-man company the game had been developed (using an outsourcing partner from the Ukraine) and was up and running.

The plan from the beginning was to launch small, listen to feedback and to develop it from there. We asked only our friends (and friends of friends) to come in and test it and little did we expect that it would, almost overnight, grow into numbers of hundreds (and thousands) of users playing league matches weekly. The system had not yet been optimized for such activity and during 2010 we had severe performance problems where people couldn’t even log in to the site to play in their league matches. We had grown too fast and almost all of 2010 went to trying to keep the ever so growing user base happy, while trying to find the cause to the performance problems. In hindsight one might argue that it would have been better to pause Footballidentity at that time and ask for people’s patience while we optimized the system, but that was not an easy call to make as you can imagine. 2010 drained a lot of our resources and when the performance issues were held at bay we tried to get back into development, focus on improving the game for our frustrated user-base (many of whom surprisingly stayed with us during that dark year of 2010). We focused almost completely inwards and on the wishes of the community. We implemented new features such as the “Momentum feature” and we got a bit blind to what was going on around us. Facebook gaming, mobile gaming and an amazing increase in games available out there changed the gaming arena completely. At the time when we launched the game people would be known to spend hours reading up on how a game worked before trying it out. But while we had our noses dug deep into developing the match engine and new features on the site Facebook was overflooding with games and the average amount of time you had to attract a new user went down to somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes.

Without any real game tutorials, without an improved user retention model and with a game that started to look unmodern, we suffered a lot and the amount of active users and revenue started decreasing. We realized that if we were to turn the ship around we needed more resources and we started opening up for investors to come aboard. In all honesty we were very close to securing multiple investments over the years but unfortunately never managed to take it all the way. We tried, now more desperately, making changes and implemented new features that we hoped would enable our (still to this day) extremely strong community to bring more activity into the game, but with the decreasing revenue we were forced to also decrease our development team. A couple of years ago we reached a point where we couldn’t even afford our own very small salaries and with families to feed and bills to pay we both had to take up full time jobs and run Footballidentity on our spare time. Of course now the game was really unmodern and without the resources to rebuild the game into a more modern technology such as for example Unity, the active user-base depleted even more up to today where we have around 700 users playing in league matches each month.

So why do we need to close Footballidentity?

Over the past few months we have felt that we could just let the game run and we maintain it on our spare time. It is our baby and we love seeing how a lot of the existing community still burn for the game, even though many of them have played it for 5 years or longer. But recent news has finally led to the point where we need to realize that termination is inevitable. The match client is built on Flash technology and announcements have been made that major browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox will not support Flash as default anymore. It will most likely be possible to activate Flash content in those browsers but you will have to accept it through messages stating that you realize there are security risks if doing so. Needless to say this will be the nail in our coffin that makes further growth of Footballidentity impossible and since we do not have the resources to rebuild the game with a more modern technology we see no other way but to terminate the project.

When will we close Footballidentity?

We really do love our game and our community and want to give it a worthy ending. Therefore we have decided to let it run for 8 more months (2,5 more seasons with season 31 being the final season) before we pull the plug. We hope that people will make the most out of the time that is left and that the upcoming seasons will be full of enjoyment and competition. The time left will allow for some final World Cup tournaments and we hope they will have a high level of activity and buzz.

In order to give people a chance to make the most out of the time left we have decided to decrease the price of Slots and Supporter Passes with 50%. Hopefully this will allow people to play more characters in more matches and really boost their participation until the site closes.

We really want to take this opportunity to send out a big thank you to everyone that have taken part in making Footballidentity into what it has been over the years. It truly brings tears to our eyes thinking of the many amazing individuals that have shown such a huge devotion to what we have created and we love you all for it. It would be wrong of us to mention any names but you are really well remembered and will be our heroes forever. A special thanks goes to the users that have worked for Footballidentity like game masters, moderators, FIDA representatives and such.

Even if this feels very terminal we will continue living our lives and who knows, maybe somewhere down the line Footballidentity will resurrect from the dead in a more modern shape. Until then you can of course visit our facebook page and we’d appreciate you sharing your feelings over there or in this thread.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/footballidentity

In case you want to get in direct contact with us you can of course also contact us on support@communisport.com

From the bottom of our hearts; a massive thank you for playing a big part in our lives and for making this rollercoaster one that we will be telling our grandkids about! Let’s make these last seasons the most fun and unforgettable!

Love

Fredrik Olsson (losfreddos, FIDAdmin1) and Anders Bengtsson (GNU, FIDAdmin3)
Help and FAQ

Stay updated by following us on:

...and follow the FIDAdminds blogs.

See how matches are played in this Youtube Tutorial
Sponsor  

Xtream
#2 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:26:07 PM

Head Staff Medal: Medal rewarded for being part of the Head Staff at FootballidentityGame Master Icon: Medal received for taking part in Footballidentity's Game Master team

Thank you for making such a great game.

I know this has been a really tough decision for you to make, hopefully FID 2.0 will be more than a dream and we can all join up again for a further adventure of the FID roller-coaster.

I hope everyone really enjoys the next 2.5 seasons and continues to make great memories in this great game!
Active Players

Managers

Retired

FORMER IRISH FIDA PRESIDENT - Irish FIDA Main Page
boroie
#3 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:36:02 PM

Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

Thanks for everything guys. Its been amazing.
Wish you all the best in any future endeavours.

I'll miss FID Crying
Diable Rouge wrote:
Cormac Ireland was an overrated old bastard, and still is
ARINHO
#4 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:39:13 PM

Let's also hope that everyone stop being c*nts and play properly and like men the remaining seasons. Peace out. Thanks admins for what you have done smiling

Best player EU

Funny quote below

Best excuse EU below

ARINHO's school of GKing
bosko2602
#5 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:40:11 PM

Game Master Icon: Medal received for taking part in Footballidentity's Game Master team

Don't know that to say. Speechless. Really.

As one friend said, this is only way how i can stop playing fid.

ps. i know that my wife will be trilled hearing for this llolll

ps2. today is not 1st April, right?
Concave
#6 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:40:49 PM

Moderator: Medal received for taking part in Footballidentity's Moderator team

Well, this game is one of a kind. Thanks for the four years of great fun!

I am sad...
AndyVanDerMeyde
#7 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:41:43 PM

Omg my girlfriend just left me cuz of FID and now u tell me this Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud

Such a great game, poopies Crying Sad
Uscanac
#8 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:43:44 PM

bosko2602 wrote:
Don't know that to say. Speechless. Really.

ps2. today is not 1st April, right?

But it will be exactly 8 months from now, just saying Laugh Out Loud
Napred Zvezdo samo napred, gde ti igras tu smo mi, nikad neces biti sama mi smo tvoji sinovi!

This ones for my family name with pride I wear it to the grave.
Ferrazza11
#9 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:45:24 PM

Game Master Icon: Medal received for taking part in Footballidentity's Game Master team

AndyVanDerMeyde wrote:
Omg my girlfriend just left me cuz of FID and now u tell me this Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud

My GF loves FID because I left her watch trash tv while I was playing ....
FIDAdmin1
#10 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:48:16 PM

Head Staff Medal: Medal rewarded for being part of the Head Staff at Footballidentity

It's amazing to see those "joined dates" on some of you guys posting here. You've been here a long time to say the least. A MASSIVE thank you guys! It's been a true pleasure!
Help and FAQ

Stay updated by following us on:

...and follow my blog.

See how matches are played in this Youtube Tutorial.
Alessandro Del Piero
#11 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:49:42 PM

Ferrazza11 wrote:
AndyVanDerMeyde wrote:

My GF loves FID because I left her watch trash tv while I was playing ....

I don't have GF Crying Crying Crying
Pravi džentlmen nikada ne napušta svoju damu

Ugašeni:

Aktivni:

Wickerbasket
#12 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 10:59:11 PM

Better start buying lottery tickets I suppose.
#3 James Frost - Side Defender of Team Ten
Proud to be Goalkeeper, Left Side Defender, Right Side Defender, Central Defender, Left Central Defender, Right Central Defender, Left Central Midfielder, Central Midfielder, Right Central Midfielder, Left Forward, Right Forward and Manager of Team Basket Academy

thegreenwoods wrote:
I agree with the points made by James.
Michael Cameron
#13 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:02:38 PM

Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

Thanks for a very addictive game, and you hard work and input. Met some amazing people here. I'm not sure I can readjust to the real world. Will see which of you clever internet types creates the reboot.

ROCOCO FIRE
Manager of Portus Cale

STUART OAKLEY | AMOS VETO | GEORGE WILLIS | MATT SUTTON | SEBB ATWELL | LUKE RIPLEY
Wickerbasket
#14 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:04:32 PM

Michael Cameron wrote:
Thanks for a very addictive game, and you hard work and input. Met some amazing people here. I'm not sure I can readjust to the real world. Will see which of you clever internet types creates the reboot.

The amount of people who say they can do it better, has to be one for sure right? XD
Proud to be Goalkeeper, Left Side Defender, Right Side Defender, Central Defender, Left Central Defender, Right Central Defender, Left Central Midfielder, Central Midfielder, Right Central Midfielder, Left Forward, Right Forward and Manager of Team Basket Academy

thegreenwoods wrote:
senja
#15 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:08:38 PM

I was afraid of this, when I realized that flash is shutting down. Thanks for great game. I hope that we will see again in even better Footballidentity.

FK Kamikaze

Champions of seson 5 in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Champions of seson 6 in Bosnia and Herzegovina
bosko2602
#16 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:08:56 PM

So, now you can tell us answer on big question: how random works? Pray

Ps. Remove random for last season? Laugh Out Loud
Wickerbasket
#17 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:11:47 PM

bosko2602 wrote:

Similar thought just went through my head - do we get the equations of how things work finally? Flapper Laugh Out Loud

thegreenwoods wrote:
hellboy777
#18 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:21:27 PM

I do not know what to say ... I came to your games of chance and although at the beginning it was not easy, it spent it more than four years ... I can not remember the last time I examined Champions League matches ...
Let me just say one thing: a good game does not require extra 3d graphics, you do not need sound wonderful, but it must be something, and that FID is gone!
And thus I went on my list of top games alongside such classics as
Sensible World of Soccer, Civilization, The Settlers ...
I hope, however, that something will change over the last 8 months and you manage to release the FID 2.0 ....

Thank you for great fun although sometimes the man was a mega annoyed .. but however always a welcome return to the game ..

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

My characters :

My Team

National teams :

hellboy777
#19 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:23:54 PM

bosko2602 wrote:

I wonder more on the topic of how to actually interact skills on the other;) and how the increase in power gave the star a special skill;)

My characters :

My Team

National teams :

statik
#20 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2016 11:37:36 PM

So, AP will not see his 50th birthday? :/