Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In

3 Pages 123>
Sneak peek on the new menu and site layout Options
FIDAdmin1
#1 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 8:44:30 PM

Head Staff Medal: Medal rewarded for being part of the Head Staff at Footballidentity

So, as many of you already know we in the admin team have been tucked away for some time now trying to work out a new and clearer menu system and site design. It is extremely important that the site is more welcoming to new users and as a first step we will be releasing the new site layout and menu system which we hope will be much less confusing and a lot more guiding towards new users. After this we plan to develop a structured and even more guiding tutorial that will greet all new users as they enter the door to the world of Footballidentity.

We now think it's about time you guys get a first "sneak peek" of the new menu system so here's a couple of screen shots! Please note that this is very much work in progress. Here's a short list of some of the new features that will be released with the new site update:

- Rebuilt and dynamic menu structure

We will be removing the confusing MY FID, FID World and FIDA top menu options that we are currently having. They say very little to a new user and they are causing our current menu to be build up of an unnecessary 4 levels. Instead we will be moving up the most important groups (Character, Team, League etc.) to become a much more highlighted (big buttons) top menu as you can see in the screen shots. We will also be changing the grouping of menu items into a much more logical grouping and we will be aiming to move some main items up from the current 4th level menu up to the 2nd level menu. Another great thing is that we are now building this in a more dynamic way so that we can easily change the menu items without having to make any programming.

- Icons for menu options on all levels

All menu levels will now contain icons to give a stronger visual recognition. We still need to create all the icons but in one of the screen shots (the league screen) you can see some new icons on the league table, fixture, league activity tabs etc.

- Quick Navigation bar

One important new feature will be the Quick Navigation bar (above the chat and character bar). We hope that this in itself will become a guiding feature for new users as well as a useful tool for new users as it will dynamically display things that should be of importance to the new users depending on his or hers current state. For example if you haven't trained yet today the training button will be displayed, if a match is running then the match icon will be displayed, if you have unread messages in your team forum then the team forum icon will be displayed etc. We also hope to be able to implement further details on many of the items in the quick nav, such as for example "count-bubbles" displaying for example the amount of unread forum posts or similar.

- Customizable "bottom bar"

Users will be able to slightly customize what they want to display with regards to the "bottom" area of their screen (as displayed at the bottom right corner of the league screen shot). There they can decide if they want to display the character bar (tool bar) and/or the quick nav bar and they can also decide what they want to display in their character bar (avatar, name, role etc.). As you can see in league screen the user has selected to display everything whereas in the team screen shot the user has selected only to display avatars (this could of course be useful to those of you who has many characters).

For new users the character bar will be closed (since they have very little use for it with one character) and the Quick Nav will be open to display important menu options to the user.

- Quick nav from character

Another useful feature for those with multiple characters will be the ability to open a small menu from the character area in the character bar. This menu will display the same items as would be displayed in that characters quick navigation bar when that character is selected, and will allow the user to navigate directly to any important menu items on a different character than the one the user has selected.

- Improved performance

We are making fundamental changes to the technology that we are using for our site and we hope that this will help improve the performance of our web pages.

- Improved possibilities for the future

With these changes we will not be so tied down to our old fashioned menu structure and web technology and with this we hope that we can more easily improve the web site for the future with for example a better menu structure, combined pages (more data in same page), a wider web site in general and a more mobile device (tablets and smart phones) friendly web site.

We hope to be able to release the new web site in a few weeks time and we plan to release it on our backup site first in order to have both the old and the new site running simultaneously for a while to make sure we haven't missed any critical bugs that could effect users badly.

And for those of you wondering about our progress with regards to ME development we are working on some fixes that we hope will be appreciated and hope to come back with more details about that soon.
Help and FAQ

Stay updated by following us on:

...and follow my blog.

See how matches are played in this Youtube Tutorial.
Sponsor  

ethernaldreams
#2 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 8:47:17 PM

Looks SO good smiling . We really needed some points like trainings (not ironic), congratz.
Retired

uyke
#3 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 8:53:42 PM

Nice design! Don't forget small touchscreens.
My dogs:

South American Representative @ International FIDA
Uruguay Representative @ South America Continental FIDA
President @ FIDA URUGUAY | Representative @ FIDA ARGENTINA | Representative @ FIDA GREECE | Representative @ FIDA VENEZUELA

celtic4ever
#4 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:13:09 PM

Well,this looks much better and I really like it.Great job guysApplause

KJV!

Michael Cameron
#5 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:16:05 PM

Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

Looking better.

Quick question; Will the forum notification still work on the bottom of the screen by characters?

ROCOCO FIRE
Manager of Portus Cale

STUART OAKLEY | AMOS VETO | GEORGE WILLIS | MATT SUTTON | SEBB ATWELL | LUKE RIPLEY
FIDAdmin1
#6 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:21:56 PM

Head Staff Medal: Medal rewarded for being part of the Head Staff at Footballidentity

ethernaldreams wrote:
Looks SO good smiling . We really needed some points like trainings (not ironic), congratz.

Not really sure I understood that comment fully but thanks smiling
Help and FAQ

...and follow my blog.

Influential me
#7 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:22:15 PM

This looks very nice and attractive to those new users. New users come to games usually and look at the layout, and this one is FAR better than the current one. This looks exciting and less complex, which is EXACTLY what we needed. From first looks, it looks fantastic. Great job Admins and all involved! ;)
FIDAdmin1
#8 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:24:48 PM

uyke wrote:
Nice design! Don't forget small touchscreens.

Thanks!

I hope we are making as much as we can to suit also the smaller screens but eventually one will have to find a balance between the regular browser version and smaller touch screens. In the end we might want to do some kind of special mobile version of the site and this would be a big step towards it with the introduction of menu icons etc. but I hope already in this version that the site will behave much better on most smaller touch screens.
Help and FAQ

...and follow my blog.

FIDAdmin1
#9 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:26:18 PM

celtic4ever wrote:
Well,this looks much better and I really like it.Great job guysApplause

Influential me wrote:
This looks very nice and attractive to those new users. New users come to games usually and look at the layout, and this one is FAR better than the current one. This looks exciting and less complex, which is EXACTLY what we needed. From first looks, it looks fantastic. Great job Admins and all involved! ;)

Thanks guys! Really happy you like it!!
Help and FAQ

...and follow my blog.

ethernaldreams
#10 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:29:43 PM

FIDAdmin1 wrote:
ethernaldreams wrote:

Just saying that i am not ironic Flapper , we really needed. For example:

Quote:
One important new feature will be the Quick Navigation bar (above the chat and character bar). We hope that this in itself will become a guiding feature for new users as well as a useful tool for new users as it will dynamically display things that should be of importance to the new users depending on his or hers current state. For example if you haven't trained yet today the training button will be displayed, if a match is running then the match icon will be displayed, if you have unread messages in your team forum then the team forum icon will be displayed etc. We also hope to be able to implement further details on many of the items in the quick nav, such as for example "count-bubbles" displaying for example the amount of unread forum posts or similar.

http://forum.footballide...spx?g=posts&t=180519

I proposed 2-3 years ago too and we have now... it's good, better later than never. Biggrin
Retired

FIDAdmin1
#11 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:36:58 PM

Michael Cameron wrote:
Looking better.

Quick question; Will the forum notification still work on the bottom of the screen by characters?

Sorry what do you mean Cam? The team forum icon that is currently always visible next to your character name on the character bar?

If that is what you mean then that icon will no longer be visible in the exact same spot as before. Instead it will be in the Quick Navigation bar and in the small popup that you can extend from a character on the character bar. It will be visible there together with other options like for example:

- Ongoing match (if match is running)
- Training (if training hasn't yet been performed today)
- Match Signup (if signup hasn't been done for next match)
- Contract offers (if character has open contract offers)
- etc. etc.

... just to give a few examples.

So basically the team forum icon has had to make way in order for other (also) important items to get a logical place to be communicated. We are also investigating possibilities of highlighted important data on the icons such as amount of unread forum posts etc. Hopefully all in all this solution will give a better solution overall whereas perhaps the team forum icon itself might suffer SLIGHTLY from it smiling
Help and FAQ

...and follow my blog.

FIDAdmin1
#12 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:37:25 PM

ethernaldreams wrote:
FIDAdmin1 wrote:
ethernaldreams wrote:

Just saying that i am not ironic Flapper , we really needed. For example:

Quote:

http://forum.footballide...spx?g=posts&t=180519

I proposed 2-3 years ago too and we have now... it's good, better later than never. Biggrin

Ok, thanks! smiling
Help and FAQ

...and follow my blog.

AoG90
#13 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:05:21 PM

Wow Woot Looks really good and looking forward to try it out. Very interesting Applause

Characterlinks in the Spoiler
CUFC_Mike
#14 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:05:41 PM

Contributor Medal: User recieved this medal for the huge amount of work put into enhancing the FID experience.Key User Group: User recieved this medal for taking part in the FID Key User Group (KUG)

Looks good. Any chance you can fix the chat so it doesn't pop up annoyingly when you're in the middle of typing something else. I know you can open a 2nd window and then appear offline etc, but that's a workaround that shouldn't be needed.

There should be a simple online/offline setting for chat so if I don't want people to chat to me, they won't.
Guess who's back? It's not Slim Shady...

bosko2602
#15 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:07:46 PM

Game Master Icon: Medal received for taking part in Footballidentity's Game Master team

CUFC_Mike wrote:
Looks good. Any chance you can fix the chat so it doesn't pop up annoyingly when you're in the middle of typing something else. I know you can open a 2nd window and then appear offline etc, but that's a workaround that shouldn't be needed.

There should be a simple online/offline setting for chat so if I don't want people to chat to me, they won't.

Yes, simply add button for "appear online" and "appear offline". And make chat as we have them when we watch matches in live center.
FIDAdmin1
#16 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:19:05 PM

bosko2602 wrote:
CUFC_Mike wrote:

Yes, simply add button for "appear online" and "appear offline". And make chat as we have them when we watch matches in live center.

Actually we have other plans for the chat in the future. Basically we are planning to take away the chat completely and merge it with the messaging system (very similar to what you can currently find on facebook for example). Building the tutorial has higher prio though but we are hoping the change in chat/messaging system is not that far away. Therefore we won't be spending any time on other changes to the chat system since it will all be changed later on. Hopefully you can live with the workaround a while longer smiling
Help and FAQ

...and follow my blog.

Mini Miudo
#17 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:43:06 PM

Looks f*cking amazing, not gonna lie. smiling

Just a quick couple of questions: will FIDPlus still work with this, or will it most likely be broken? If so, why not implement some of the stuff mentioned in this post (among other posts) as well? smiling
Silent Assassins FC
1x England Champions (S30)
10. Mini Cristiano Ronaldo - CF // 7. Mini Ricardo Quaresma - SM // 21. Mini Mauro Zárate - CF

Northern Assassins FC
7x Italy/Ireland Champions (S21, S23, S25, S26, S27, S28, S31), 1x UFCL Winners (S23)
1. Mini Rui Patrício - GK // 7. Mini Dries Mertens - SM // 24. Mini Alessandro Florenzi - SD

Titles: 7x Italy/Ireland Champion, 5x Sweden/Serbia Champion, 4x England Champion, 3x WC Winner, 2x France Champion, 2x UFCL Winner
World Awards: 4x Forward of the Year, 4x Golden Assist, 3x Golden Boot, 3x Golden Technique, 2x Golden Pass, 1x Midfielder of the Year, 1x Defender of the Year, 1x Keeper of the Year

Influential me
#18 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:51:21 PM

FIDAdmin1 wrote:
bosko2602 wrote:
CUFC_Mike wrote:

Actually we have other plans for the chat in the future. Basically we are planning to take away the chat completely and merge it with the messaging system (very similar to what you can currently find on facebook for example). Building the tutorial has higher prio though but we are hoping the change in chat/messaging system is not that far away. Therefore we won't be spending any time on other changes to the chat system since it will all be changed later on. Hopefully you can live with the workaround a while longer smiling

What you guys been doing these past months?! Your plans are awesome, and if executed with a aplomb, then there is a major chance it will be successful. The messaging system and less complicated layout, anything you're hiding from us? xD
FIDAdmin1
#19 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:51:48 PM

Mini Miudo wrote:
Looks f*cking amazing, not gonna lie. smiling

Just a quick couple of questions: will FIDPlus still work with this, or will it most likely be broken? If so, why not implement some of the stuff mentioned in this post (among other posts) as well? smiling

I honestly don't know what will happen with FIDPlus here but I would guess it becomes broken (perhaps some stuff will work but there's no way of knowing).

We would like to implement some of the FIDPlus stuff but we really have our work well cut out for ourselves with the plan we are undertaking so we really need to work according to priorities. But hopefully we can do stuff like that later on.
Help and FAQ

...and follow my blog.

ethernaldreams
#20 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 10:52:36 PM

Well... so many months with nothing and now there are a lot of things, lol Flapper Laugh Out Loud
Retired